Living on the job
I start a new job on Tuesday. I will be Resident Services Coordinator here at the retirement home where I live. It's a full-time paid internship for the summer. On the plus side, I will have no commute to either of my jobs (I'm continuing part-time with the best job ever). On the downside I already anticipate that living on the work site will cause some boundary issues. Maybe I'll have to get an off duty cap or something. Today during an inservice meeting with the receptionists, the HR director told them that I would assist in overseeing their work and to feel free to call me if they needed something and even reminded them that I lived on site. I came to my own defense since they were so quick to throw me under the bus. "I live here, but please remember that I LIVE here. Just like anybody else, when I go home I want to be at home, not at work. If you need me, you need me, but please be respectful and prudent"
As far as my job description, the best analogy for describing my duties is I am kind of like what an academic advisor is to a university. I mainly deal with new residents helping them get situated. I make them aware of special government programs that they might qualify for. I help put them in contact with the right agencies and services. The best part of my job: I get an office. It even has a a door I can close and a couch for napping. I mean, I assume it's for napping. Why else would they put a couch in an office?
Funny cartoons. I didn't want to violate copyright so I'll just link to them.
8 comments:
I think the couch will allow you to tap into your undergrad psych major. I can picture it now...
Shaun: Mr. Resident, I'm sorry that you're distressed. Please lie down on the couch and tell me about your mother.
Great cartoons! During my first year in grad school, I sometimes thought about moving into my cubicle. I mean, I only ever went home to sleep, and I would have saved all that commute time! Besides, a loft bed would have fit really well over my workstation...
Congrats on the new job!!
I used to always take naps in the couch in my office at an old job. I tried not to sleep on my face so that emberrasing marks appeared.
Thanks for the tip Ryan! That should save me some embarrassment.
Congratulations! I hope people keep the bothering or "needing" to a minimum in your down time. Did you get your last three papers done?
I have no couch (funny considering I'm a therapist) but sometimes I take a nap by squishing two chairs in my office together and curling up. One more benefit of being five foot nothin'. I'm with Ryan about the face creases...beware!
Of course is for napping!!!! What else?!
Congrats for the new job!!
Couches are always for napping. That's why they have them in the women's bathrooms at BYU. Don't ask how I know that.
Post a Comment